Under 8 (born 8/1/06 - 7/31/08): Spring 2015
A great entry point for children new to sports!
Our U8 program builds on the skills acquired in the U6 program to introduce concepts such as passing, goalkeeping and teamwork. Games are played 5v5 on a larger field, with separate leagues for boys and girls. Practices are twice per week for one hour in the evenings and are run by volunteer coaches.
Location: Henderson Park
Required Equipment: Complete TYSA Uniform, shin guards, cleats, water bottle, size 3 ball
Practices: Two evenings per week beginning the week of February 23. Team/practice assignments will be sent by February 21.
Games: Saturdays, March 7 thru May 9 at Henderson Park. (No games on April 4 or 11).
Please sign up for field status notifications for the most up-to-date information. Field status is also available on our website. The complete TYSA Rainout Policy can be found under "CLUB INFO".
U8 Girls Commissioner: Jim Kisla
U8 Boys Commissioner:
5 V 5 with goalkeepers , Throw Ins and NO Direct Kicks
In keeping with the trend and recommendations of both the US Youth Soccer Organization and the Georgia Youth Soccer Association, Triumph Youth Soccer Association provides a small-sided 5v5 format (including goalkeepers) at the U8 level.
The small-sided environment is a developmentally appropriate environment for young soccer players. It’s a FUN environment that focuses on the player to get a lot of touches on the ball, and to interact with all his teammates and the opposing players. This is the opinion of the US Soccer National Staff Coaches, every US Youth Soccer State Director of Coaching, as well as the US Youth Soccer Director of Coaching!
If you have any questions or comments regarding the format please contact our Recreational Director of Coaching, Gareth O'Sullivan, at email@example.com
Why Small-Sided Play
- We want our young soccer players to touch the soccer ball more often and become more skillful with it! (Individual technical development through more opportunities to possess the soccer ball)
- We want our young soccer players to make more quality decisions during the game! (Tactical development because less players on the field equals less complicated decision making)
- We want our young soccer players to be more physically efficient in the field space in which they are playing! (High intensity play with the ball versus long runs chasing after the ball)
- We want our young soccer players to have more involved playing time in the game! (More opportunities to solve problems that only the game presents)
- We want our young soccer players to have more opportunities to play on both sides of the ball! (More exposure to both attacking and defending situations)
- We want our young players to have more opportunities to score goals! (The pure excitement and satisfaction one gets from scoring a goal)
Rules and Recommendations
Games are comprised of four 12- 1/2 minute quarters.
- Substitutions take place at the quarter break. Allow players remaining in the game to get a drink of water, especially if it’s hot. This break should take 1-3 minutes.
- Substitutions cannot be made except at the three sub periods (1st quarter, half time and 3rd quarter) unless a player is hurt or ill or simply demands to come out of the game.
- Size 3 Soccer Ball
- There are no direct free kicks in U8. All kicks are indirect. Back all players away from the indirect free kick by 6 yards.
- All players must play 1/2 of the game. No player can play a full game until all players have played 3/4 of the game.