Under 8 Age Group
4 V 4 with goalkeepers , Throw Ins and NO Direct Kicks
In keeping with the trend and recommendations of both the US Youth Soccer Organization and the Georgia Youth Soccer Association, Tucker Youth Soccer Association provides a small-sided 4V4 format (with goalkeepers) at the U8 level.
The small-sided environment is a developmentally appropriate environment for young soccer players. It’s a FUN environment that focuses on the player to get a lot of touches on the ball, and to interact with all his teammates and the opposing players. This is the opinion of the US Soccer National Staff Coaches, every US Youth Soccer State Director of Coaching, as well as the US Youth Soccer Director of Coaching!
If you have any questions or comments regarding the format feel free to e-mail the Recreational Coaching Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Why Small-Sided Play
- We want our young soccer players to touch the soccer ball more often and become more skillful with it! (Individual technical development through more opportunities to possess the soccer ball)
- We want our young soccer players to make more quality decisions during the game! (Tactical development because less players on the field equals less complicated decision making)
- We want our young soccer players to be more physically efficient in the field space in which they are playing! (High intensity play with the ball versus long runs chasing after the ball)
- We want our young soccer players to have more involved playing time in the game! (More opportunities to solve problems that only the game presents)
- We want our young soccer players to have more opportunities to play on both sides of the ball! (More exposure to both attacking and defending situations)
- We want our young players to have more opportunities to score goals! (The pure excitement and satisfaction one gets from scoring a goal)
Rules and Recommendations
- Games are comprised of four 12 and 1/2 minute quarters.
- Substitutions take place at the quarter break. Allow players remaining in the game to get a drink of water, especially if it’s hot. This break should take 1-3 minutes.
- Substitutions cannot be made except at the three sub periods (1st quarter, half time and 3rd quarter) unless a player is hurt or ill or simply demands to come out of the game.
- Size 3 Soccer Ball
- There are no direct free kicks in U8. All kicks are indirect. Back all players away from the indirect free kick by 6 yards.
- All players must play 1/2 of the game. No player can play a full game until all players have played 3/4 of the game.
TYSA U6 and U8 Coaching Activities
Coaching Activities for U6 – U8…..coaching activities to use at practice for U5, U6, U7 and U8 players
Team Management Form…..personal information about every player , try fill out before the start of every season
Version 1 (MS Word) & Version 1 (PDF)
Version 2 (MS Word) & Version 1 (PDF)